August 24, 2018
What a start to the new year! I am so pleased and thankful at how well we have kicked off 2018-19. Hopefully, you have had the same experience. As we move into week two, I wanted to remind everyone about our new check-in procedures:
- Starting on Monday, August 27th, every visitor to the building must be scanned in at the office. This begins as soon as our front doors open at 7:15. To aid this process, we have an additional scanner and staff ready to help.
- This process will take time. Scans and printing badges take approximately 20-30 seconds per adult at a “normal” pace. To help make this process go smoothly, the most important thing to remember is to have your ID with you and ready to scan. We cannot scan anyone without an ID. We also have key fobs for sale for $2 in the office- the advantage of these is being able to scan in at any CSISD campus quickly.
- If you check in before 7:40, please walk your child either to the cafeteria if they are eating breakfast or the gym if not eating breakfast. You are free to stay with them, but you may also say goodbye there if you would like. FYI- The cafeteria stops serving breakfast at 7:50.
- At 7:45, we will stop scanning in visitors for arrival. Our tardy bell rings at 7:50, and we need to have the students there on time! If you have a meeting scheduled for 8:00 or near 8:00, we will scan you and have you wait in the office.
- If you are walking your child down to their classroom, please note that this is not a time for informal conferences. The teachers all have many students to monitor starting at 7:40, and simply cannot spend even three minutes discussing an issue- the teachers do have conference times for this very purpose. If there is something that needs to be communicated to them before a conference time, feel free to email them.
- No matter when you leave, please do so out the front exit. We will collect stickers to keep track of visitors in the building.
- The bottom line(s)- we know that being able to say goodbye to your child is an important transition, especially for our younger students. This transition CAN happen in multiple ways and locations, whether those be the foyer, outside the building, the car, or the classroom. We also are attempting to help ensure the safety of the students by knowing who is on the campus at all times. These two ideas may not always line up neatly, but we are doing what we can to make it so.
- This process will be new for everyone. We will be evaluating the patterns and the process to make necessary alterations and will communicate these out quickly. As I mentioned to folks at orientations, patience will be important. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
As always, please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions. Enjoy a great “first” weekend!
Jeff Durand- Principal, Rock Prairie Elementary